2007-11-11

WWSD? (a svithe)



.

So I just read my first Socratic dialogue (watch for the next five books of 2007!) and now I understand why so many people I respect say they want to be like Socrates and Jesus.

Now, as a believer myself, trying to be like Jesus should be my number-one goal, but it's tough because he's, you know, God. Socrates, however, just a man. So maybe I can emulate him first, as a stepping stone.

Socrates was all about doing the right thing no matter what. He, like Jesus, fully expected to be executed some day because he would never say pleasing things just so people would like him.

It reminds me of something I read earlier this week about someone who threatened to drop out of Mormondom if President Packer became the prophet. That's a pretty good policy, as I'm sure God the Father is easily cowtowed and now he will pick whoever you want. It certainly worked in oldentimes. Don't like Jeremiah? Not pleasing enough for you? Here, take a fake of your choice.

Anyway, off subject. Socrates!

So I can easily agree that it is better to suffer wrong than to commit wrong. So far I totally agree. And I agree that it is better to be punished than to continue to sin your way all the way to hell.

But I don't agree that cooking can't be an art.

Suck on that, Socrates.

I'm sorry. And you just take it without fighting back.

I hate you.

But I also really really respect you a lot.

I better go now.....

this svithe on thmusings
last week's svithe

No comments: